Still fresh in our mind the time when rendang was being a trending topic by the case of ‘Crispy Rendang’. The internet has been filled with criticism since the MasterChef UK judges’ comments on a nasi lemak dish one of its Season 14 contestants had made: “I like your rendang flavor, however, the chicken skin isn’t crispy, it can’t be eaten.” This comment has trigerred Minangkabau people all around the world, most of them are from Indonesia and Malaysia to critisize.
Every region in Indonesia has its own uniqueness, especially in the culinary field. Who does not know Rendang? People in the whole world know it, because of all Padang Restaurants everywhere. But this unique meal, named Pancake. This meal is made of flour, eggs, and butter. People in the world usually eat this meal at breakfast. But the pancake from this region, Minangkabau, is so unique but still tasty.
This pancake is named as Pinukuik or Surabi. Pinukuik is more like Surabi of Bandung, the meal that is made of rice flour, sugar, and coconut milk. This meal is cooked in a pan like a semi-circle on a stove. When you eat it, you will taste the sweet and tasty because of the mixture of sugar and coconut milk. Minangkabau people still use firewood in the stove for the fire source, so that Pinukuik will be tastier.
Check the receipt of Pinukuik below.
- 200 grams of rice flour
- 50 grams of plain flour
- A tablespoon of sticky rice flour
- 130 grams of regular sugar
- 50 grams of tapai cassava
- 50 grams of grated coconut
- A teaspoon of yeast
- A teaspoon of baking powder
- 100 ml of coconut water
- 400 ml of coconut milk (boil it with pandan leaf)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Rice flour, plain flour, and sticky rice flour mix well. Put the grated coconut, tapai cassava, regular sugar, the yeast, and baking powder into the mixture of flours.
- Pour the coconut water and coconut milk into the mixture little by a little while stirring it, add the salt, then mix well.
- Let it stand for about an hour or until the mixture has the bubbles. Heat the pan. Bake until it is cooked.
- Remove it from the pan, let it be warm. Serve it while it is warm.
Pinukuik is tastier if you eat it while it is warm. You can serve it with the sweet thick milk as the topping. If you visit West Sumatera, it is so please if you eat Pinukuik as your breakfast and companied by Teh Talua.
-Tastier Your Breakfast Happier Your Journey-
- www.saribundo.biz/ Pinukuik, Serabinya Orang Minang
- cookpad.com/ Pinukuik (Apem)